CONVERGENCE ZONE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CONVERGENCE ZONE

Creating a Bigger and Better Network Through FRIENDSHIP

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

First Time OFW Guide

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dzypherus
RAdmin
RAdmin
dzypherus

Male Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-08-20

First Time OFW Guide  Empty
PostSubject: First Time OFW Guide    First Time OFW Guide  EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 10:43 pm

Now you are going abroad for work, you have all your documents at hand, and finally the D-Day has come.
But you are not certain what to do when you get to the airport and you want to know a bit more than what your seemingly sleepy agent have discussed.
Now read along and I'll guide you through as much as I can.

NOTE: This is from NAIA 1 for I had left from there.

Just a quote from Wikipedia "The Transportation and Communications Department previously announced that as soon as Terminal 3 becomes fully operational, Terminal 1 would be rehabilitated into an "Airport City", with the intention of Cebu Pacific Air to convert Terminal 1 into an exclusive terminal for their aircraft.[24] This terminal handles all international flights except those operated by Cebu Pacific, Philippine Airlines, PAL Express, Zest Airways, and All Nippon Airways.
The rehabilitation of Terminal 1 will be completed by mid-2013." source

Upon arriving NAIA 1 go to OFW lounge to have your OEC stamped/validated, lounge door is just at the right side of the departure area.

Here's a picture of the lounge
First Time OFW Guide  003

After your OEC is stamped in the lounge, proceed to passenger's entrance and have all your stuff scanned.
Trolleys are available outside the airport, grab one as you please.
Prepare also your passport and ticket for you will be asked to show those.

When you are already inside the airport wait for your flight number to  appear in the CHECK-IN COUNTER (middle part) of split-flap display which your check-in counter number will also be shown.

Here's what a flap display look like
First Time OFW Guide  IMG_9824_ce-300x200

Fall in line to one of the indicated counter numbers.

Show your printed virtual ticket to the attendant and endorse your check in luggage which will be weighted. Your boarding pass and luggage claim stub will also be handed to you.

NOTE: Make sure to be within your allowed luggage limit to avoid hassle, for Emirate's economy class 30 kilograms of check-in luggage is allowed and 7 kilogram of hand-carry. As I knew, lesser is allowed in other airlines.
Check the maximum carry luggage you are allowed in your airline's website to make it sure.

Go to immigration area, you will pass two counters there, your oec/pdos/contract will also be checked. If you are an OFW, you are exempted to pay the travel tax. I remember paying 1,600 PHP travel tax when I once visited Malaysia for training, and it came as a shock on me that time!

After passing two counters, you are free to roam inside and stores for food and stuff are also available.
Just note that they are pricey, example is a 125 PHP odd tasting noodle soup and 120 PHP burger (now you have the idea what I had for dinner).

Follow the overhead directions which will lead you to your boarding gate (boarding gate is indicated in your boarding pass).

I suggest you arrive in your boarding gate in time. Now you can watch tv in the waiting area or play your favorite android game while waiting for your boarding call.  

Tip bits:
Make it sure you have your passport, OEC, PDOS certificate and ticket before heading to the airport, place it in single envelope and place it in
your hand carry bag and if possible, stick it always next to you. Lose it and you are back to square one.

Make your luggage as compact and as few as possible, get a luggage that will fit all your stuff for check-in luggage and a backpack(or any portable bag) as your hand-carry.

Make sure to arrive in the airport on time i.e. four hours before your departure to accommodate long waiting lines ( I personnally gave five hours leeway) , and be at the boarding
gate an hour before your flight (actually my boarding time is just 30 minutes before my flight, just give some leeway for yourself, it's better than missing your boarding call).

We Pinoys are born Helpful, but this time and all the way to your destination, just don't hold any other's belongings even of and old woman's, just politely ask them instead to place the stuff on the floor and you'll just watch it, or just plainly say NO. Being caught handling drugs might cost you a lot, even your life in some countries!

Set your simcard to roaming few hours before your flight. In my case, I failed to activate my TM (things didn't work out as I've read online) roaming, as a last resort I just bought a Globe simcard for 300 Php with 200 free load inside the airport which has its roaming activated by the Globe telecom attendant. Luckily it worked as I arrived in my destination!

Bon voyage kabayan!

Last edited by dzypherus on Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://profiles.friendster.com/steelryx
dzypherus
RAdmin
RAdmin
dzypherus

Male Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2007-08-20

First Time OFW Guide  Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Time OFW Guide    First Time OFW Guide  EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 10:48 pm

Here is a useful blog which will also help you. Kudos to the author.
http://misha-ofw.blogspot.com/2012/06/departure-101.html
Back to top Go down
http://profiles.friendster.com/steelryx

First Time OFW Guide
Page 1 of 1